Take the Wheel of your Transit Career!
What can we offer you? A professional career with excellent benefits, a competitive salary and opportunities for promotion and professional development. We are dedicated to our mission: to provide safe, reliable, and friendly service to our community.
Who can become a Transit Operator (Bus Driver) at WTA?
You do not need professional driving experience – we have a paid, comprehensive training program that will help you get your CDL! If you want to drive, and like working with community members, we can provide you with the tools to succeed as a Bus Driver with WTA. Our Employees come from different professional backgrounds like customer service, retail, military service, warehouse, hospitality, commercial and non-commercial driving (school bus, limo, taxi, and delivery drivers), accounting, administration, and sales.
We have several training classes a year. The application is open now! Our hiring process is outlined below. We look forward to seeing your application.
- Apply online at ridewta.com, under Business we have a page called job openings. You will be directed to create a profile and answer a few questions.
- If you meet our minimum qualifications you will be invited to attend an information session and mini-interview where we will talk to you more about what the job is like and give you an opportunity to ask questions.
- If you move forward you will be invited to take an in-person or Online Assessment which covers topics of safety, transit suitability, and customer service.
- If you pass the assessment we will invite you in for an interview which includes a physical assessment and a brief written assessment.
- Next, we will perform a professional reference check. Following that we will make contingent offers. You will need to pass a DOT physical, DOT drug test and a criminal background check, all paid for by WTA. (When you work as a bus driver at WTA you will be required to be in a random drug and alcohol testing pool, this includes testing for Marijuana)
- Once you obtain a CDL Permit (cost re-imbursed by WTA) and complete all the contingencies you will be ready to start in our next training class!
Requirements to be considered
- A high school degree or equivalent
- At least 5 years of personal driving experience (does not need to be professional!)
- A valid Washington State driver's license
- A clean driving record & background check
- A passion for connecting our community